Wednesday, January 13, 2010

On Linking in ... till death do us part?

I've written before about Facebooking exes (a witty little piece that I never sold and yet may someday blog) and I once started a Facebook group devoted to convincing my husband to join. He did, and Facebook is now the avenue for us posting wedding pics, coordinating our social lives, and finding out what cute things our friends' kids have said lately.

In fact, if you're reading this now, it's statistically probable you are reading it on Facebook, which is where my blog syndicates and where most of my friends' online presences exist.

In a charming, if possibly slightly "out there" story at which my hypothetical future grandchildren may someday roll their eyes, I even used my top secret personal blog to send the following message to my now-husband:
Announcement: Open for business
With a nine-day waiting period now complete, Aliza Libman is now accepting applications for the post of boyfriend. This is an unsalaried position.

Applicants must live in Boston and possess reasonable grasp of the English language. No strange body odours or prior felony convictions allowed.

Forward resumes and letters of reference to (you get the picture).
Despite how web 2.0 I might seem, I get the separation between personal and professional life. So I was flabbergasted when I got not one but two emails from my husband, courtesy of linkedin.com, asking to "Link" to me. I do not perceive us to be insufficiently linked. Not only do I know most of his good stories (from our courtship), I also usually have a good sense of what he ate for breakfast and what interesting things happened in his day. That's why I don't read his Twitter feed.

And Linkedin.com? It's a professional site. What do I know about my husband's professional life? Though I know where he works, what he does, and what many of his coworkers look like, I don't possess sufficient detail about his professional life to recommend him to others. He could be a photocopy machine hog, or steal people's staplers, or take the last 'Caramel Vanilla Nut' in the Keurig machine. Or he could be employee of the year. While I'd suspect the latter (he's pretty awesome), I doubt anyone who came to me for a recommendation about my husband's many talents would find my insights about the relative organization of his sock drawer to be worth their time.

But he's my husband. So now we're linked in.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 12:20 a.m., Blogger shanna said...

Ah, but the beauty of Linked In is that now, if one of your friends or professional colleagues (who may not know your husband) is trying find a person who does X, or is trying to get introduced to specific person Y, and one of your husband's friends or colleagues fills the bill - poof, you can help them connect. But if you were not linked, your friend would be unable to use you in this way.

Er.

Ahem.

Never mind.

 
At 9:31 a.m., Blogger Michael A. Burstein said...

Your blog also syndicates to LiveJournal, which is where I usually read it.

Also, I've never known Ari to hog the photocopy machine.

 
At 10:19 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Linked-in is, uniquly, about the 2nd & 3rd degree connections. I'm within that to the head of Facebook, and a ton of other things in that world.

They have options for things other than just buisness associates, for that very reason.

 
At 8:16 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home